Thursday 14 April 2011

The Voice


Velvet Verbosity's 100 Word Challenge - IMP


She told me it's often referred to as the 'Imp of the Perverse'. I'd sat in her chair, as I'd done every Tuesday for years, and told her of The Voice. I'd smiled at her description. Perverse, I understood. But I'd always imagined imps as cheeky and playful. Yet The Voice dancing and singing in my head is far from playful. I sit on the floor, my head in my knees, and rock, waiting for it to go. But it's getting louder. I begin to claw at my neck with my fingernails. It tells me that drawing blood is fine.

7 comments:

  1. Wow. This is really powerful. Great personalizing illustration of a mental disorder - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the power of a voice . . . internal or external. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Just WOW. And in 100 Words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first instinct was to say, "wow", but I see that's been done. So instead I'll elaborate. Your piece is overwhelmingly powerful and revealing, and it stops one's mind. Suddenly whatever little problem has been rolling around in the brain seems mundane at best.

    You've rocked us all a little. Thanks for sharing with the word-nerd crew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments, guys.

    VV, I'm loving this 100 word challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear, and I'm loving your entries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Creepy! The last line sent shivers down my spine.

    ReplyDelete